Sandalwood oil is derived from the wood and roots of the tree Santalum album. The oil is obtained by water distillation or steam distillation from the roots and heartwood, powdered and dried.
It is traditionally used to treat a variety of conditions like cracked and chapped skin, greasy skin, moisturiser, bronchitis, depression, nervous tension and stress related complaints.
Sandalwood oil is :
- Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, carminative and sedative
- Cleansing, astringent and curing prickly heat naturally
- Excellent for curing inflamed, chapped and sensitive skin
- Helpful to reduce the excessive secretion of sebum and give an even surface to the skin
- Used for skin regeneration, yoga and meditation.
In Ayurvedic medicine, sandalwood oil is believed to be beneficial in treating both physical and mental disorders, including anxiety.
Sandalwood has a delightful musky aroma that is both sweet and pungent.
Used in bath, skin care, perfume, massage etc, it is non toxic, non irritant and non sensitizing.